Originally Posted By: dewd

Way off according to what? The advertised specs? Remember, Audyssey is measuring the response of the speaker in your room, which has very little to do with the mfg specs.

In my larger (20x20x8) room the speaker sizes got set randomly even if nothing changed. In the smaller (10x13x8) room it always sets each speaker the same unless it‘s corner loaded. In the larger room the speaker distances were often off by as much as a foot while in the smaller room they’ve always been to the inch. In the larger room crossover setting changed each time I ran it even if nothing changed. In the smaller room same settings each time unless I corner loaded a speaker. In the larger room the channel levels were often up to +/-3dB from each other when compared to the calibration disk/SPL meter. In the smaller room there always within +/- .5dB of each other. So poor choice of words on my part I should have said that it was being inconsistent depending on the room.

Some examples of what it would do in the larger room are M80s to small 80Hz crossover while QS8 to large. Next time without moving anything the M80s set to large crossover and QS8s to small w/90 crossover. I once ran it 5 times in a row w/o moving anything and only got the same results back-to-back once. And this was following the guide posted over at AVS.

Also in the larger room it EQed the 125Hz to 250Hz range by -3dB to -9dB depending on the speaker. While adjusting for the room is what it’s designed to do this made the front speakers sound hollow and tinny making male voices very nasal with no noticeable upside.

In the smaller room it only EQed the 125Hz to 250Hz range by -1dB to -4bB which still made the center speaker sound hollow, it sounded perfect without EQ. However, in the smaller room there was a noticeable improvement in the directional imaging of sounds (which I believe it’s suppose to do, and didn’t seem to in the larger room). The downside was the not only did it make the center speaker sound hollow all the front speakers seemed to have a gap between the bass and higher frequencies causing a disconnect between the higher frequency and the perceived directionality of the bass. In other words without the EQ the bass seemed to come from the same direction as the any higher frequencies associated with it whereas with the EQ the higher frequencies were better imaged but the bass just seemed to hang there in space.

I’ve followed the guide that was posted and even reset the receiver to factory defaults with no improvement so maybe the equipment is defective.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1