I’m in the process of setting up my HP Smart Media Home Server and Squeeze Box Duet. I’ve ran into a snag.

I am a self proclaimed PC / IT / Software / Hardware moron. It is not possible to talk down to me. Please try.

I have a hard wired network. No wireless and I don’t really want to go wireless. (but I will if there is a good reason to do so)

So far I have connected the server to the home network and I think it’s working OK. I was able to transfer 350 gigs of audio files from an external drive that is plugged into my office PC onto the HP server.

The Squeeze box installation instructions suggest that I install Squeeze center on the server so that I can run it when the (office) computer is off. It also suggests that instead of giving the software a typical drive address for the music file folder, I give it a web address. I started to set this up using the remote access wizard on the server desk top and one of the steps was to configure my router. When the wizard started checking the router for Plug and Play, it said the router was OK, and then anther dialog box came up telling me I had to access my router and manually configure it. I click on that and it brought up the router’s web page. The damn thing is asking for my user name and password to access the router…… What the heck?? I don’t have a user name / password for my router?? The wizard tells me that I should consult my router’s documentation. Crap…. I tossed that stuff years ago. The router is a Linksys four port.

My office PC is running Vista.

This is frustrating……. I asked for help on the Slim Device Forums. I was provided a link for “beginners”. All that information is for beginners who speak IT language.