Jay, Elliot's speed that holds the record is 212.809 for the pole at Talladega in May of '87, the 210.364 is actually the pole speed he had for the Daytona 500 in Feb. of that year ... because of Allison's crash in May, NASCAR mandated the restrictor plates for the remaining races at Daytona and Talladega (both July races) of that year, I was there for both races.

I don't know that anybody ever went 220-230 on a closed course in a stock car in the 60's or early 70's, Buddy Baker broke the 200 mph mark in '70 driving a winged Dodge but due to rule changes I don't believe the 200 mph mark was set again until the early 80's by Cale Yarborough at Daytona ... if I remember correctly Lynn St. James set a couple of stock car records at Talladega, I believe Rusty Wallace uncorked the plate off of a stock car and ran 225ish. I believe that's about what St. James ran a few years earlier, Rusty said that speed he ran was most definitely too fast for the stock cars.

Google up a guy by the name of Russ Wicks, he holds the absolute record for a stock car of 244.9 at Bonneville ... that's scootin' for a 3400 pound car.

Rick
Our Room

smile