Originally Posted By: jakewash
"You gotta reach for them high ones" \:\)

This 'Fan Boy' ;\) says the M60s should suddenly open up at higher volumes, that open/airy sound is what the M80s achieve with low volumes. Listen for it during the demo, if you are able to crank them up. The 60s sound quite nice with low volume, then you reach a certain volume level and the soundstage opens up and the details really start to become more noticeable, this would be the sound that the M80s achieve at lower volume levels; at least that was what I found during my comparison, beyond that they are very similar.

Jay, can you expand on your descriptions. I understand you are describing your perception/opinion and that no one, even M80 owners, need be upset with your perception. ;\) I am not sure I understand your meaning with:
1) (M60's) "suddenly open up at higher volume." Does this mean the highs become more pronounced with M60's with high volume?

2) "60s sound quite nice with low volume" Does this mean that at med to low volume, lows, mids, highs are more even on M60's?

3) "(M60's) reach a certain volume level and the sound stage opens up and the details really start to become more noticeable."
Would you expand on what you mean by 'details' ?

4)So, do you feel the M80's exhibit more highs (detail??) through out the volume range and M60's 'highs' do not start coming on until higher dB levels? 75db? 85dB? 95db?**

**I just bought a Radio Shack digital sound meter. Now I can finally connect dB levels to my actual listening levels. :o)
For me, it seems that:
75dB- a normal level that my wife would prefer, but because I have some degree of hearing loss, I can miss some dialogue at 75dB. (this may change when I get my new Axiom center & fronts).
85dB- is a level I like better, but wife less so.
95dB- is VERY loud, even for me.

Jay, thanks for giving me something specific to be aware of when I demo the M60'.

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."