Originally Posted By: casey01
I have been looking at the XPA2. In either case whether it was the MPS1 or the XPA2, I would be interested to know exactly how loud these amps had to be cranked up before this happened?

It did not seem to be volume alone for either me or Randy if I have read his threads correctly and I admit not thoroughly because it was about a year earlier when he suffered through similar issues, it was only during reproduction of loud dynamic HTs that the protect circuit kicked in. For example I could listen to music at 105 dbs in a 7300 cu sq ft room with four entryway doors open and it would never shut down (I don't actually listen that loud, that was a test), but at even 90-95 dbs with probably higher peaks HT explosions etc would cause the fault to kick in. From my observations it was always the case that LFEs were involved and not necessarily loud mid to HF sounds.

As Randy has pointed out emo is quick to blame the speakers, in my case I eventually began to question if a cheap Yamaha avr was somehow to blame because I continued to have problems with loud popping sounds, sometimes during LFEs with no loud mid to high HFs, after I returned the xpa2.

It could be a pattern but still seems rare enough to me that I continue to view it as a fluke, even a coincidence perhaps that both Randy and I had the same problem, I'm not sure what it says about the emo protect circuit, if they even are the same electronics.

I think everyone moves toward a space in which things are working properly, it's hard to know sometimes what the problems were that forced one to push ahead, I remain curious about the XPA2/M80 combo but of course would not return on that path, just as Lonnie at Emotiva didn't seem to feel he had time to mess with the XPA2/M80 issue after having failed to resolve Randy's problems with the MPS1/M80 combo.

Anyhow it remains inconclusive to me yet clearly is not a sheer volume issue (cranking it up), for example the LEDs were not pinned when the XPA2 went into protect, it was only during transient dynamic peaks especially ones involving LFEs.

"If you try to turn toward it, you go against it."