Dear Marc,

I fear that you may not get the sort of help you seek here.

There are many people who believe that solid-state amplifiers do not sound demonstrably "different". Arcam amps have an excellent reputation, and there is no reason why you should not continue to pursue a brand that has served you well for so many years.

Your interest seems to be toward higher-end products. I will submit that IF solid-state amplifiers DO sound different (and you may have the equipment, room and ears to appreciate such differences), that you perhaps would want to also consider brands like Anthem, Rotel, Sherwood/Newcastle, ATI, Odyssey, Krell, McIntosh, Classe, and B&W.

Another good option might be to simply keep your existing amplifier and use it to power the two front speakers. It seems to me that your main issue may be which processor/pre-amp/receiver to get in order to listen to 5.1 material. You could get any of the newer receivers that have the features you want and use the receiver to power the center and surround channels while having your Arcam power the main speakers.

The new Sherwood/Newcastle pre-amp (which will be sold by Axiom) is much anticipated, and might serve as an excellent control center for your system.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem