Captain,
My neighbor was shopping for a sub, so I tagged along (big mistake for my wallet ;o), bringing one of my two 120w 10" KLH Costco subs to compare to nicer subs. Like Peter, I always thought boom was boom and did not need to be clean. Compared to the 10" Paradiqm, mine had a thump, but no clarity or depth, as Peter described. While my buddy loved the sound, he hesitated a long time due to the price. The shop owner, a nice guy, realized he was not selling a new sub. He mentioned he had a used Servo-15 a customer had traded in, that he would sell for $350. Holy Moly. I NOW knew what a real sub sounded like! When my friend was finishing up his purchase transaction, the owner could see my drool, he mentioned he had one the same subs as a second at his house, until his new Signature series sub came in. He'd be willing to sell that one to me for $350 as well. I jumped on it with glee. Trouble is, that raised the bar big time for the new set of three fronts I wanted to buy. I found Axioms and decided I not only needed M60 or M80's, but 4 QS8's as well! (the wallet challenge part ;o)

The moral to the story. Take your sub down to your local HT shop and plug it in comparing it to a nice 10" or 12" sub. Then ask him if he has any used subs peolple traded up from that he might have. :o) worth a try to get a LOT of sub, for not as much money! ;o)
end of essay...

Dave

"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice they're not."