I've not tried the Faroudja DCDi in my Pioneer receiver (since the Elites don't scale HDMI, the lowly standard models definitely don't). But I have an older Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi flagship DVD player, and a PDP-5020 Kuro plasma, along with my PS3. While the PS3 is rated good at enhancing detail while scaling DVDs, it isn't as good some of the newer scaler chips.

Of the scalers I own and have been able to test I rate them in this order:

PS3: Very good, but doesn't do film cadence detection and scales the 240 lines of each field of 480i directly to 1080p/60.

DV-79AVi: Softer looking than the PS3, but still does a pretty good job, maxes out at 1080i, but the Kuro de-interlaces this and will go into 24 Hz mode on film content.

PDP-5020: Fed a base 480i signal from the DV-79AVi or 480p from the PS3, it produces a very soft looking image. I'm surprised it is this poor. Goes to show that even one of the best TVs in the world still needs a quality scaler before it.

GefenTV 1080P HDMI Scaler: Horrible, horrible, horrible. Stay far away. Not only does it produce a poor picture, it even screws with the colors and white/black levels.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris