Nick,
Well....this one got hijacked immediately following the first post....back to the original topic. The only way that I know to do it is to create duplicate playlist, then delete the songs you don't want coming up from the new playlist. Then you can random play just the new list. I hope that I am not talking down here - I had to ask my teenager for instrux.....the way to random play a single playlist is...start the playlist. After it starts, press the center button several times (3 times,I think) until a submenu comes up. It will have 3 selections "Off", "Songs" and "Album". Use the right arrow button to select "songs" and then hit the center button again. Now the playlist will be random instead of your entire music list. Beware that this will cause all playlists to operate in Random. To turn it off, press the center button the requisite number of times to bring up the menu and then use the left arrow button to select "off". After she taught me this little trick, I use it all the time.

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill