Well our family vacation and wedding plans appear to be coming to an abrupt halt! We have plans to go to Playa Del Carmen Mexico to get married and have a family vacation in about 30 days. The Center for Disease Control just issued a travel advisory stating the following:

At this time, CDC recommends that U.S. travelers avoid all nonessential travel to Mexico.

Yikes! I just sent a debit card authorization form to our wedding coordinator in mexico for the cost of the wedding this morning (before the travel notice was issued). After I sent it I did manage to let the lady know that we may cancel the trip due to the health concerns and not to process my payment. I told her I would let her know by the end of the week if we do cancel (looks like we will)... If she holds true to her word then I am only out $200 (the deposit I already paid). If she charges the card then I will be subject to an additional $300 cancellation fee, plus who knows how long it would take them to credit back the money to my account.

My parents will be out $600 bucks (they paid $100 per person for "cancel for any reason" insurance through the travel agent.)

Perhaps given the travel advisories some of this money would not be charged...

BUT the worst part is that leaves us with a few weeks to plan a freaking beach wedding and a vacation... YIKES! My fiance had her dress altered to fit her with no shoes, and I have purchased "beach wedding" attire to wear. So I guess the worse case scenario is that we get married in a small chapel here in barefoot beach attire! \:\)

I know that some people have had much more problems from this virus (sickness,loss of life, ect.) but Holy CRAP what a nightmare for us!

We are all off work and are going on vacation somewhere... Likely won't plan an out of the country vacation on such short notice. We have considered Florida though.

Any suggestions on some good beach vacations here in the US?

-David