I resisted the urge to title this, "What cell phone are you using tonight?"

The situation is this: I have lost my cell phone and need a new one. Up until now, I've been content to use very basic phones. However, I am pretty sure I want to get an iPhone, for many reasons:

* I've never owned an mp3 player, and now I want one of those.

* There are some really handy medical apps for the iPhone. Using epocrates and others at work would make me more efficient, and it would allow me to write off a portion of the phone costs on my taxes.

* Well, everything else cool that the iPhone can do, like make me a synthesizer genius.

The only reason I hesitate to get an iPhone today is that I hear that new phones will be released this summer. Some friends have told me to wait because of this or that technical reason that I can't recall right now.

Whatever. The people that I really trust for advice on all things technical populate this forum. So, my trusted tech advisors, I ask you:

1. What's the deal with these new phones? Are they worth waiting for?

2. Is the iPhone good as a phone? I guess an alternative would be to get an iPod touch and a dumb phone, but then I get to carry two things in my purse, I mean briefcase.

3. What web sites are good for the n00b to check out such things? A friend recommended engadgetmobile.com and cNet.

Thanks in advance, Brain Trust!

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.