Originally Posted By: medic8r

1. What's the deal with these new phones? Are they worth waiting for?

Maybe. One very important thing to keep in mind that the iPhone 3.0 software will almost certainly be available as a free upgrade to existing iPhone 2.x owners. So if you buy an iPhone 3G *today*, you'll probably get to experience a great deal of what iPhone 3.0 will offer - software wise. That's what they did with the iPhone 1.0 -> 2.0 update. Hardware-specific things obviously won't be supported, but the software improvements should be.

Here's a recap of the 3.0 software improvements.
http://gizmodo.com/5171796/iphone-30-os-guide-everything-you-need-to-know

or here

As far as hardware goes, there are a few rumors there too, of course. A better camera, more memory, a faster processor, improved battery life, and a built-in compass (in addition to GPS) are about the 'best' rumors I've heard for the July '09 iPhone 3.0 release. Though there are others - an OLED screen is a more marginal rumor.

http://www.appadvice.com/newiphone.html

Personally, I probably won't be buying a new one in July because even with the anticipated new features, I don't think it'll be enough of an upgrade on the hardware side. I'm really quite content with my iPhone. The 3G one is working great. And even after two years, the original one is still going strong (holding a charge as new, no problems with the screen, ports, etc). And like I mentioned, I'm sure that the spiffy software upgrades will be a free update for me and my measly old iPhones. ;\)

Quote:

2. Is the iPhone good as a phone? I guess an alternative would be to get an iPod touch and a dumb phone, but then I get to carry two things in my purse, I mean briefcase.

I say yes. I have both an original iPhone (which my wife now uses), and I have an iPhone 3G, 16GB. As a phone, they both work quite well. No problems with either phone-to-the-head calling or with my JawboneII bluetooth headset. Voice quality is just fine. Great even. No different than a landline for me. The only reason we still have a landline is because we need it for our DSL. I've never had any problems of missed calls or garbled calls. I've had a few dropped calls over the years, but at the same rate that I've had with every other phone I've ever had. I guess that AT&T's network is just pretty good everywhere I've been. My only complaint would be that the speakerphone volume is only just loud enough at the max volume. Too quiet to really use.

Quote:

3. What web sites are good for the n00b to check out such things? A friend recommended engadgetmobile.com and cNet.

Thanks in advance, Brain Trust!

Endagadget is good. cNet, not so much. I haven't read anything really worthwhile from cNet in years. Maybe it's just me. If you can filter through the chaff, there's a lot of info over on HowardForums.com . Lots and lots of posts regarding just about any question that anyone's ever had about nearly any kind of cell phone imaginable. Yeah. A lot of info. Some good, some bad, but a ton to wade through.

Good luck!

Last edited by PeterChenoweth; 06/01/09 02:20 AM. Reason: Fixed Links

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office