Originally Posted By: michael_d

I think this will catch on pretty quick though. Just like PLIIx and HD formats did. I've been talking so someone who is using height speakers with his new 4310 and he loves it, so there is apparently enough information to do some good.

Just read this. Not sure where they got their placement info.

Onkyo TX-SR607

Originally Posted By: CNET

Ideally, the height channel speakers should be wall-mounted directly above and at least 3 feet higher than the tops of the main left/right speakers; we couldn't wall mount the height speakers so we placed them on tall speaker stands placed on our equipment cabinet

They specifically revisited DPLllz here:

Dolby Pro Logic IIz: Taking a second listen

Maybe you are having better luck with DPLllx than I have but so far I’m totally unimpressed by it. DPLll is usually a notable improvement but overall I’ve found DPLllx a downgrade in performance. Reason being that with QS8s in a 5.1 configuration, surrounds pushed back to 135 degrees from center I’ve gotten a perfect 360 degree sound field in two different rooms. When I add the backs for 7.1 I hear no improvement from the 5.1 sound field. Now I have been blessed by having rooms that are symmetrical in the back with seating symmetrical to the corners.

OTOH. with some games (Elder Scrolls Oblivion for one) it totally screws up the directional queues causing sounds panning across the back to weaken and then more or less jump from one side to the other unless I turn up the back speakers by +8dB which then makes them way to loud for anything else.

I’ve been hoping this DPLllz would really expand the front soundstage w/o screwing up the discrete placement of sounds. The best overall front soundstage I’ve had so far was with the M80 or an M22 center mounted vertically above the HDTV. In both cases it created a wall of sound w/o disrupting the horizontal locations of discrete sounds (only an issue for music not movies) to much. The best front soundstage I’ve gotten for movies alone was with 2 M22s laying horizontally above the HDTV. It totally screwed up the imaging for music but for movies it made it just like a theater. It was the most seamless blend of sound across the front I’ve had w/o any speaker drawing attention to itself while still maintaining proper imaging for the sound to match the on screen action.

Looking forward to your experiences with DPLllz.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1