Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
The main advantage of a plasma over an LCD is the contrast ratio (second is the non-ghosting refresh, third is the viewing angle). Watch an LCD in a dark room next to a plasma (which you'll never see on a showroom floor), and the difference becomes obvious.

I had a Sony Wega CRT and was planning to immediately upgrade to a Pioneer plasma. So I gave away my TV, bought a stand, and then got hit with some unexpected bills. So I couldn't get the TV I wanted. I figured I'd settle for a cheaper LCD. I hated every minute of watching that set. The old CRT had much deeper blacks. Luckily in the time I was saving up again, the prices of plasma fell by half, and their, already incredible, black levels improved further. So the set I ended up with is beyond my expectations.

The newest LED backlit LCDs can dim the light behind the screen in zones to match the expected levels on screen. Which boosts their rated contrast ratio in tests, but in real world viewing you end up with blocky areas surrounding each part of the picture of different level. Anytime you're trying to use a bright light to shine through a surface and then using that same surface to try to block the light you're not going to get the same deep blacks as when the surface itself is generating the light.

Chris - you absolutely nailed why I chose a Panny plasma in your first paragraph.

Bryan - Since you don't appear to have a light control issue, I'd steer you to a plasma.

I have a 58" Panny (2.5 years) and I am thrilled with it. There is a direction you might not have considered. I ended up buying a consumer version (includes speakers and a tuner) because there wasn't a 58" professional monitor available then.

The professional version has no speakers or tuner (and no stand), so they end up saving noticeable $$$. The PQ, glass and electronics are the same in both types, but there is a bit more tweak-a-bility available on a professional model. Additionally, there is some flexibility in being able to change connection modules if desired. If you are connecting to a cable/satellite tuner and a audio set-up, why pay for another set of speakers/tuner?

The folks at Visual Apex carry the 58" TH-58PF11UK $2,989 and they get high marks for reliability, integrity and customer service. Cleveland Plasma and Newegg also get high marks.

You can get a wall mount from monoprice(be sure to hit the wall studs!!! ) for $2-=$80, which is lots cheaper than a $500 stand. I use a tilt stand for the 58" and my 42" (professional plasma) in the great room.

Anyhow - just something else to consider.