CAVEAT: This is a bit of long post as I wrote this at work, trying desperately to do anything but my actual job \:\)

Thanks to all for the replies and information.

I'm still hunting - although I may wait a bit before making a major purchase. We just finished our basement to accommodate a live-in nanny (my wife is going back to work in January). So we do need a television for her (and the children when they are playing in the basement). But I might forgo the big purchase and just plop an old 27" CRT down there and keep my 51" CRT rear-project Sony upstairs. The idea was to move it to the basement and buy a new one for ourselves but money's a bit tight after blowing a wad on the basement.

Nonetheless, if I were buying a television, I'd definitely buy a 58" or 60" plasma. I'm not interested in an LCD (have a 32" and actually prefer my CRT rear projection's image) and the LEDs are too expensive compared to equivalent plasmas. And I prefer the picture quality of a plasma. I do not want to go less than 58" nor bigger than 60" (due to room size and current entertainment unit). It also has to be stand-mounted and not wall-mounted - and the stand has to be incorporated with the existing entertainment unit (two piers and a bridge).

So that leaves the following:

- Pioneer 60" plasmas
- Samsung 58" plasmas (PN58B650 or PN58B550)
- Panasonic 58" plasmas (TC58S1, TC58G10, TC58V10)
- LG 60" plasmas (60PS60/70)

I'm in Calgary, Canada so this limits some of my choices. The Pioneers are hard to find and too expensive - so they are out of consideration. The S1 Panasonics are the same price as the 550 Samsungs and possibly a bit more expensive, and I believe the Samsung 550 would be the better choice versus the Panny S1. I cannot find the Panny G10 series and the V10 are too expensive - so the Panny's are out.

That leaves me with Samsung and LG. I think I'd prefer the Samsung 650 series but only Future Shop carries it as an exclusive model (not available at other retailers), so the price is $800-$1000 more than the 550 series (retail). However, I can purchase the 650 as a refurbished unit from E-Outlet Canada.

Retail-wise, I believe my choice is between the Samsung 550 series and the LG 60PS70 - both locally available and costing approx. the same. I'm torn between the two - the Sammy probably has the (slightly) better picture (debatable?) and, according to reviews, is easier to calibrate (without a professional). The LG, however, is bigger and, according to reviews, provides a very good picture as well. I've looked at both in the store but I find it hard to compare in that setting - so I'm relying more on reviews and advice.

So, in a nutshell, I'm seeking advice on these 3 models. Does anyone have any experience with any of these models? Any preferences? And does anybody have any experience purchasing refurbished televisions (specifically from E-Outlet Canada)?

Thanks again for humoring me!

Bryan