Well guys, I received lots of advice on AVS, one of which was to see if I notice the snow/static with the Spears & Munsil calibration disc, and my results were as follows-

I am getting the same snow/static with the black screen and bars up; it's consistent right across the screen. I also disconnected everything and had only my TV and player connected to my separate outlet, with one hdmi cable into my tv (nothing connected to the tv from my avr), and again, no difference. I have also tried 3 different cables.

I am really at a loss, I can't imagine it being anything else but the TV.

The service technician called me a couple days ago and they have to take my plasma TV into the shop. Samsung suggested that they try to adjust the Vscan, to remedy the problem.

It's going in on Monday. I'm kind of worried about the possibility of it returning with a scratch or something on it. Do you think it's a good idea that I get them to sign something stating that there are absolutely no imperfections on the TV prior to taking it, to cover my butt?

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.