congrats on the new reciever the onkyo's are really great. they don't look like much but they really do sound amazing. I have the tx-sr 607 and it has been compared in sound to the DENON 3808 quoted from here:

http://reviews.cnet.com/av-receivers/onkyo-tx-sr607-black/4505-6466_7-33553470-2.html?tag=txt;page
Audio performance

"Moving our Aperion system back to a traditional surround sound setup, we found the TX-SR607's sound quality was well above average for its price class, and comparisons with our reference Denon AVR 3808CI receiver ($1,699 MSRP) were too close to call. The two receivers sounded alike, at moderate volume. Cranking the volume way up, the Denon had the edge, as the Onkyo couldn't quite keep up when driven that hard. That's no surprise, though, considering the Denon is more than twice the price of the Onkyo"

you have the model above mine so i can only imagine. the select 2 must be nice. AND YOU PAID LESS THAN ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..

anyways back to your question... what do you mean by 0,+1...etc. is the 706 showing db's for volume? cause the 607 doesn't. It just goes up from 0-79... i do miss the db reading though - like in most other recievers, but i just couldn't justify that being the reason for my purchase.

im also glad to here you can run the M80's. i unfortunately don't want to chance it, since it runs warm as it is and isn't really in an open place. and im only rated for 6ohms and above.