First time on the board. Let me start out by noting that the advice that the members here give out has helped me frame the questions that I am about to pose...though that may not be evident by the end of this rambling post.

I realize that much of what I'm about to ask has likely been covered in previous posts, in one form or another, but I hope someone can take a moment to write a few lines in reply. Thanks.

1) I am in the situation common to many of the first-timers in this forum - I will be purchasing my first serious HT system within the next 2-3 months. My theoretical budget is divided as follows: Epic 80 package, one of the Denon, Yamaha, H-K $1000 AVRs, some sort of $400-750 DVD/CD product, all the wiring etc. that goes along with it. I already have a 36" Sony TV (mid-range FX, about 1.5 yrs. old...does the job but can't help dreaming about the possibilities of an upgrade) and I need to incorporate my PS2 into the mix.

2) Assuming I don't upgrade the TV - the discussions about DLP and LCoS have been very illuminating, thanks, sounds like it's best to stay strong and wait for PQ and $$$ work their way up and down, respectively - this is still going to be a huge amount of cash for me which will effecitvely represent my one spin of the wheel, as it were. There is no way I can justify improving (read: replacing) such a system for a (very) long time...perhaps 7+ years.

3) The first question is basic. Will the world pass me by in 7 years? On the TV and DVD front, probably in one-third of that time. Even I can guess that. However, will the Axioms remain "great" 7 years down the line (on the assumption that they are "incredible" at present)? [Note that I make no claims to be any sort of audiophile. I enjoy music very much, but I just don't know that I can discern the higher levels of quality that many of the members here describe. I am going to buy the Axioms because of what I've read here and in other forums] Can I plan to have the Axioms for the next 7-10 years without any need (real rather than perceived) to get something "better". It would help me write the check for the Axioms if I knew that they would serve my very average ear for a number of years down the road.

4) What about the Denon/Yamaha/H-K? How soon will an AVR become so past-its-prime (again, for the average person like me who wants a quality HT experience rather than someone who demands some level of the cutting edge at all times) that I'll have to wander out and put down another $1000 to get back in the game with a new product?

5) With respect to the DVD/CD combo - Pay $400 for something good now and $400 for something good in 2-3 years or rather pay $800 now for something that's somewhat above good (for the current time) and hold it for 4-5 years?

6) Am I totally out of touch and the answer to my question was succinctly stated in a previous post...something to the effect of "it's like computers, what you buy today for $X with Y quality is great until 1 year later when you can spend $.5X and get 2Y quality?

I'll cut this short. Or I guess I'll cut this less long.

Advice, suggestions, requests to keep to 100 words or under in the future, all appreciated.