As usual, peter not only beat me to the punch, but gave good advice to boot.

All I'll add to what he already said is that I wouldn't spend $800 on a better than average player right now. (I know if you read my posts I was looking into a new player, but I was looking for audio only.) HD-DVD is coming soon, and that's going to change things. Right now, I'd get either the Denon 2200 or Pioneer 563A. Both players will play back pretty much anything you put in them. I believe the Denon is known to have a better PQ, but it's also a bit pricier. Either of those players will should get you through the next few years worth of technology upgrades fairly well.

As you pointed out in your post, TV technology is changing VERY quickly. I wouldn't buy a new TV for at least another 2 years. (Unless you buy something inexpensive now, and intend to upgrade it again.)

Lastly, recievers. Beyond 7.1, I don't know what more they could add. (yeah, 9.1, but do you really need or want 9 speakers in your living room?) After "upgrading" from 5.1 to 7.1, I'm even questioning the need for even 7.1. If I were you, I'd get a decent 7.1 receiver and not worry too much. Yeah, the technology will change, but Dolby Digital and DTS sound REALLY good on a good system. You won't NEED to upgrade for a long time.

Good luck!