Originally Posted By: audiosavant

Craft is not as important as instant, shallow and fleeting fame. It's not this generations fault as much as it is the media and the culture of celebrity that dominates it.

I work with a lot of young musicians, and they are generally very frustrated with the music scene right now. It's like they came to the party too late and the avenues and resources that were once available to foster creative music and fund ambitious projects are just no longer there.

What's funny is, most young people I know that care about music, have their iPods filled with stuff like the Who, Beatles, Hendrix, Zeppelin etc. The music (for shame) of their parents!!!

I agree with you here. I try to follow the local music industry here both because there is some great talent brewing and because it is as you say. They have returned to being artists instead of striving to be celebrities. Unfortunately, the ones that are getting the big breaks are the ones who are conforming to popular, radio play, type music. The way to get a big break here now is to sell your songs to big network TV shows like Grey's Anatomy, One Tree Hill and others.

Fortunately, even more are concentrating on making music in their own fashion, making for a very robust and diversified young music scene here and you are right, they are quoting influences from the 70's way more than current.

It's still a big population split even in the youth. While the phrase is somewhat 'grumpy old man hat' deserving in it's own right, I sum it up like this. "The McDonald's kids are still listening to the 'Industry led,dollar driven' music but there is an ever growing army of coffee shop kids who are actually passionate about music".

There may be hope for it all yet.

Best of all, you can go to small 'coffee shop kid' bars at my age, have a beer and enjoy these great new bands and these kids don't even blink an eye at you, despite your age. As long as you are there for the music, they accept you as one of their own. Not so much at shows for the more "popular" big bands. Then all you get is a lot of stares and eye rolls like you belong in a nursing home. This says a lot for the two cultures. Like you, I don't blame those kids either. They are simply mirroring the industry that they are following.

Now excuse me while I put aside my wisdom and listen to some Nickelback. I agree about Chad's voice but despite all the above, I'll also admit I'm a sucker for high energy music with a strong metal guitar style.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.