I agree with Murph about there being a split in the quality of music these days. I do have to admit, though, that I hate to agree with him given his reference to liking Nickleback. (As I mentioned in my earlier post, Pearl Jam is my favorite group. And, to like Pearl Jam, one simply must dislike Nickleback. I lurk on the Pearl Jam website, and the shots people take at Nickleback are pretty constant and quite funny. I think it's because the lead singer once said something negative about Pearl Jam. They are a tough crowd on the Pearl Jam site. Assuming it works, this link gives you a taste. http://forums.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=120467. Frankly, until I learned on that site that I am “supposed” to hate them, I was completely indifferent to Nickleback. I’m just easily persuaded.)

In any event, I think if one looks there is some good, new music to be found. I just think for the most part it is not played on the radio. I love going to festival-type concerts and watching highlights of festivals on a cable station that shows concerts most of the day (I think its now called Palladium). I found some really good music that way that is a bit off the beaten path. Gogol Bordello, mentioned in my post above, is fantastic (though most friends I've introduced it to have given it a thumb down), especially live. Wolfmother has two good albums out. The Strokes and Interpol are fantastic. The Kooks, the Fratellis, Paolo Nutini, and Rodrigo y Gabriella are others I’ve found that aren’t real big names but make good music. It’s not necessarily groundbreaking stuff, but I think it’s good.

Also, Muse is getting quite popular, but their music is very good. Same with Kings of Leon. If you haven't checked it out yet, Them Crooked Vultures is fantastic. Granted, it is a "super group" of "older" dudes, but it is new music. “Real” Weezer fans would disagree, but I think they still are making very good music. I also think Green Day’s two most recent albums are classics, particularly American Idiot. Nine Inch Nails is pretty much done, but they are relatively recent and made some real good music. Also, relatively recent and a bit groundbreaking—Radiohead. Red Hot Chili Peppers put out two good albums as their last two albums, though I think that will stop since their lead guitarist is leaving again.

I’m actually not sure what to make of the fact that as I’ve gotten older my musical tastes have moved more toward the teen-angst kind of stuff. In my high school years (early 80s), I was nothing but a classic rock kind of guy. I think my change in musical taste toward the more juvenile is a form of a midlife crisis. At least it’s a relatively harmless one.