I have a recurring problem with my 500. For whatever reason, and sporadically, it will not play. I assume it is in sleep mode and not waking up. I have been corresponding back and forth with JC. First solution was to switch from the input jack to the output jack. That caused some improvement but, inexplicably the problem returns. Next suggestion was to boost the volume by 3db. Again, some improvement but the problem persists. Last suggestion was to boost another 3db. I did that but the bass output is way overblown at that point.

I have a couple of questions for the group.

First, if the unit is in sleepmode, is the LED on the back still green? I check every time I detect that the sub is not playing and the light is green. If I turn it off and back on, the sub plays as it should.

Second, I set the volume to 75db to match the other speakers. I then bumped it to 78db to account for the instructions from JC. Being that I am fairly new to the hobby and at the risk of sounding dumb, am I doing what JC is suggesting? I have a Yamaha 663 and there are apparently several ways to increase the volume. There is a quick mode where I can, with the press of a button access the speakers and increase the level. THere is the calibration menu with the pink noise - I assume that I am doing the same thing there as I am with the quick button.

This is proving to be somewhat frustrating - it could be my ignorance in following instructions or it could be something else. I am open to any suggestions you guys may have.....Rob

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill