Originally Posted By: Argon
I am dredging up an older thread here as I have been researching for future purchases. Ratpack made a comment that no one should consider doing upscale or upconversion through their receiver. Intuitively, that sounds reasonable to me. However, I have also done some research on another forum, AVS, and there are several threads there with throngs of followers dedicated to receivers like the Denon 3806 and the Yamaha 2600. The hook seems to be the upscale to 1080i. That brings me to the question - with these new receivers, has there been a change in the "best" or "preferred" method of upscaling? I have cable now but not digital cable. I don't have a new tv but that would be a future purchase. I like the new SXRD Sonys - would they better handle the upscaling or upconversion. I have a lot of uncertainties - hoping to clear them up here - and I never like to walk into a large purchase (particularly audio/video) unless I know at least as much or more than the salesman.

Apparently, I lurked for about a year and a half prior to this first post - where I was beginning the build of my system. Starting with a Receiver then TV then speakers. Date of the post was 1/30/06. First person to answer me was.......JohnK.

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill