Quote:
The newer rocket's (850's, 450's, RSC200 aka bigfoot)designed/redesigned by Danny Richie, are much better in that regard. Their measurements are way flatter than the 750's.

Really? After that 750 review I never saw any other AV123 measurements published. The Strata Mini's, which were supposed to be a cut above the Rockets, were the only other measurments I could find. I suspected that was deliberate.
Soundstage measurements of the Strata-Mini
I expect the midrange hump from 150 Hz to 2Khz was deliberate and designed to give the speakers a richer sound. The overwhelming majority of AV123 supporters described this as a neutral sound.

Look at the off axis response of the tweeter. It does not compare well to most of the better regarded speakers out there and would negatively impact the soundstage/imaging.

There is also a sharp dip at around 5KHz that may be crossover related. I don't know enough to know if that would be audible though.

Lastly, the distortion measurements are higher than many other speakers measured and would have an audible impact on clarity: another touted feature of the Strata-Mini.

All in all, the hype on these speakers did not match the measurements. I doubt it does for the Rockets.

On sale, the Rockets were probably a good value. Decent sound, great looks. Given the cost of veneer and the effort involved in the process, I bet AV123 did not make any money at the sale price though.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!