Originally Posted By: alan
Hi michael_d,

I don't think JohnK was being condescending; he was just differentiating between the two so as to be entirely clear.

It isn't a dumb idea to split the voltages from one pre-out, sending them to two separate amplifiers. It just lowers the output voltage to each but if there's enough gain in the preamp stage for the single pre-out, you should be able to compensate.

As to summing two pre-outs with a Y-connector, I get lots of private emails from customers who propose to do just that, and, as JohnK explained, it's not a good idea and likely to result in circuit damage.

Regards,
Alan

I have tried the latter(two in to one). As Alan stated, not a good idea and notwithstanding the possible circuit damage issues, it significantly cuts the volume to each speaker. It is OK, though, to run the Y-connector out of the pre-amp but to TWO connections on the amp so each speaker can have its own hook-up. I have tried it this way BUT it will provide MORE volume with the two combined than the one speaker on its own so the question is if you still wish the third speaker in the chain(however it is connected), it will be very difficult to balance the volume with the other two.