Originally Posted By: michael_d

Pisses me off that it's not 2.35. Other than that, quite enjoyable.

If CIH is best then why does it “piss” you “off that it’s not 2.35,” I seem to be missing something here since if it’s best then what difference does the ratio of the source make?

Originally Posted By: michael_d

Until seeing a CIH set up in person, you just won’t know what you are missing. Ther is no way I would give it up unless I had no other choice. I doubt you will find any CIH owners who would disagree with me on this point.

I have seen CIH and CIA (which I prefer to CIH). I know exactly what I would have been missing with CIH, a larger IMO more engaging image in 1.85:1 and taller aspect ratios.

Quote:

I normally do not get into these debates. It’s usually pointless to argue merits with people who refuse to compare apples to apples and want to throw a watermelon into the mix.

You could simply say it’s pointless to argue, unless winning it the point. Discussion on the other hand is a different thing since that implies an exchange of ideas, and in this case preferences of which not all will agree upon.

Quote:

You can not do that and keep the debate reasonably neutral and on topic. We are comparing enjoyment of content and the format in which it is viewed. If you start pulling dollars into the discussion, we might as well keep the discussion limited to 19” television sets sitting on milk crates in the tent in the back yard. And in that case, there’s no reason to continue this discussion.

I’m not debating you as that implies a winner and looser and since I accept that people have differing opinions on what’s “best” for them I don’t see any one format being better for all people. I’m simply relating my preferences. Since money is a factor in enjoying our hobby it is IMO relevant to part of the discussion.

Quote:

1.78 is much more popular than 2.35. No need to research that. The reason isn’t because the aspect ratio of 1.78 is more pleasing though. It’s simple economics and education.

Just because economics is a primary factor doesn’t require that people do not find 1.78 more pleasing. When Sean and I watch the “Dark Knight” Blu-ray I found the 1.78:1 scenes much more pleasing because they seemed more natural than the 2.40:1. I made the point of telling Sean that I never even notice when it switched to the larger format, as it just looked “right.“ However, it was instantly noticeable for a few minutes when it switched back because to me the 2.40:1 image is not high enough for it’s width to fill my field of view as naturally. The flatter 2.40:1 image just lacks the same perception of depth compared to the 1.78:1 image for me. This movie was a perfect A/B comparison for the 2 ratios.

Quote:

I already conceded to this point. It is valid, and quite frankly, the only valid point. If you can not accommodate a 2.35 screen width without sacrificing a comfortable 1.78 image height, don’t do it.

IMO the more natural looking, and engaging nature of the 1.78:1 image is also a valid point.

Quote:

Most movies (film) are 2.35 and have been for decades (most were actually 2.70 prior to 2.35). I have very few that are anything but 2.35 so I’m not real sure why you have more 1.78 than 2.35 if you are referring to film. Heck, I even have more 1.85 movies that 1.78.

Who said I was referring to film in this day and age? I haven’t seen a lot of 1.33:1 films and that was 25% of what I stated viewing above. I may be off base but I imagine more and more people use there HT for other things than just movies. HDTV (especially sports), consol gaming and like now as I type this a computer monitor all support native resolutions of 16:9 or something close. Hence for me the very small amount of 1.35:1 material I use. Also, more and more of the new movies I watch are showing up in 1.78:1 or 1.85:1.

Quote:

There will be a day when 2.35 projectors are main stream and all you have to do is punch a button. When that day comes, you will see a shift in the market.

Where have you read this?

I don’t begrudge you or others preferring CIH and as I said above I can understand why some people prefer it. I would hope others could understand why I prefer the largest image size possible per aspect ratio.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1