Originally Posted By: grunt

My first point that money is a factor in enjoyment since one can only separate the two in a theoretical discussion not in the real world so I don’t see the point in limiting the discussion by that parameter. Michael and I clearly disagree on this.

<snip>

Finally Michael, I am genuinely curious about the your comment that there will be a day when 2.35 projectors are mainstream and that it will cause a shift in the market. Considering the market penetration of 16:9 HDTV displays. That most affordable projectors right now have a native resolution of 16:9. That HDTV content is in that format and from my impression (no evidence) that more directors are framing their movies in 1.85:1 (presumably because of the proliferation of 16:9 displays) what would drive the market for projectors toward a 2.35 aspect ratio. Not that they won’t perhaps become more prevalent as costs of making projectors drops but what why would this drive a shift in the market? It seems to me that right now everything is moving in the other direction.

It’s not that we disagree with this point (economics), as it always applies to all things in life in a society where material things need to be purchased. It’s that I disagree that money should not be a point of contention in this particular discussion, because it is strictly related to A/R viewing preference. IE: do you like 1.33, 1.78, 1.85, 2.35, 2.70 better? When you throw money into that discussion, the discussion then looses focus and pretty soon wall paper, lawnmowers, politics and religion become factors. I will not partake in discussions when the topic can not be focused on. I have better things to do than argue. In my day job, I spend a great deal of time with root cause analysis to find the failure mode of equipment. Same principle as this, stick to the facts and findings and don’t listen to the bullshit or make assumptions. Pretty soon you find the root cause. The bullshit does not pertain and clouds the investigation.

My comments regarding 2.35 are based on consumer demand. 2.35 is becoming more popular all the time for those who buy a front projection system. People are becoming more curious about it. Damn near all screen manufactures have ready to ship 2.35 screens. The PT 4000 has a button now for 2.35. It’s pretty goofy in how it does it, but nonetheless, it’s there. Some of the high end companies are already shipping 2.35 machines. Look at the trend in TV’s. 20 years “wide screen” TV’s started to roll out. Now you can’t find a 1.33 TV. They are all 1.78 or wider (many 1.85 TV’s are on the shelves now). I don’t recall the make or model, but remember seeing a 2.35 TV in an electronics store not too long ago. It only makes sense that projectors will soon be 2.35. It’s not terribly difficult and does not require massive hardware changes. It would not take much to re-tool and start pumping them out.