Originally Posted By: SRoode
"Don't Let's Start" - They Might Be Giants.

Great song, great music video.

It's hard for me to remember what songs had that kind of effect on me. "Zombie" by the Cranberries is what got me to listen to them. I was pretty unaware of music as a whole back then. I listened to some, including TMBG, but I really hadn't pursued listening to any. It was just sort of there. I went gung-ho for the Cranberries for several years, and it's probably that first experience that has forever made me lean toward female artists.

Here are some other songs that at least inspired me to look further into the artists. It's hard for me to call anything a game changer, though.

"Smooth Criminal" as covered by Alien Ant Farm

"Sad Song (Pacific!)" by Au Revoir Simone

"What's a Girl to Do" by Bat for Lashes. What a great music video, too.

"Big Time Sensuality" by Björk. Another great music video. Or maybe I saw/heard "Human Behaviour" first, which is another classic video.

"The Distance" was probably the first Cake song I heard.

"Road Rage" was probably the first Catatonia song I heard.

"Let's Make Love and Listen (to) Death From Above" by Cansei de Ser Sexy

I hated Garbage at first. Shirley Manson sort of annoyed me. I don't remember why or when I finally decided I liked her, but it may have been "Special" that won me over.

"Gypsy March" by Grande Ole Party was a lot of fun.

I wish I had the credibility of really being familiar with her music beforehand, but like most people, I only took notice after Kimya Dawson's music was heavily featured in Juno. "Loose Lips" was a nice introduction.

"Obsessions" by Marina and the Diamonds. I'm so glad her career took off. I can't wait to hear more of her awesome weirdness.

"Too Little Too Late" was the first Metric song I heard, but I think I fell in love with them after I heard "Empty."

Had to listen to more Peaches after her song, "F*** the Pain Away," was featured in Lost in Translation.

Easy to love The Proclaimers after hearing "I'm Gonna Be."

"1816, The Year Without a Summer" by Rasputina

"Us" by Regina Spektor. Okay, so that was obviously one of my defining moments. I still get chills when I listen to it. She's funny and weird, but not at the expense of emotional depth. There's such feeling there.

"Tamacun" by Rodrigo y Gabriela

"Nothing Compares 2 U" by Sinéad O'Connor. Another one with a music video that won me over.

"I'll Kill Her" by SoKo

"Lover's Lane" by Squirrel Nut Zippers. Not my favorite song of theirs, but it was enough to get me interested.

"Summertime" by The Sundays

"You Wouldn't Like Me" by Tegan and Sara

"Hitten" by Those Dancing Days

"Time to Come (NYC Remix)" by Tigarah. I can listen to this one anytime, still.

"Blood Roses" by Tori Amos is the first song I remember liking by her. I know Boys For Pele was at least the first album I heard by her, thanks to my sister.

"Buddy Holly" by Weezer. Windows 95 CD-ROM, thank you.