For me, I was shopping for my first system. Being new to this, the first brand that I started to research was..... will I dare say it... BOSE! I know, I know, but it is unbelievable what this little cube demos will do to you when you don't know any better.
Anyway, after trying to find some review, I quickly found what the "audiophile" world thinks of them. Reading more reviews and articles lead me to brands like Klipsch, Paradigm, B&W, Aperion, ... I listened to everything at the big box stores but never been thrilled by anything, I heard some Mirage that I liked at the time (at least much more than what can be found at BBS), I really liked the Paradigm but where too expensive.
In the end, it appeared that the best bang for the buck where found in internet direct companies. I too was debating between Axiom and Aperion in the end as both get very good reviews. I signed up to the forum and really liked the knowledge and unbiased discussions on this forum. A year later, once I saved enough money for towers, I went to visit the Axiom factory, got a factory tour, got to audition M60s and M80s, really liked the people and came home with M80s. 6 month later a got a VP150 that I returned withing 30 days as the VP180 was coming out. 6 months later I got QS8s and 3 months after that I found a good deal on a used EP600.
To the day I really enjoy my system and everybody that comes over is always impressed the way it sounds.
I believe Axiom makes an amazing product for the price and its customer service is amazing. I've had a few problems with my purchases but they stand behind their product their customer service always came thru and this is also very important and should be included in the price tag IMO.

Bruno
M80s/VP180/QS8s/EP600/AVR-890
------------------------------------
"The problem is choice..."