Originally Posted By: CatBrat
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
I don't really understand the "wall of sound" mentality.

Once you're sufficiently reproducing the required amounts of bass, midrange and treble (i.e., flat frequency response), what does adding more speakers (coming from the same direction) offer except messed up imaging?

I've tried it both ways. The imaging isn't messed up, as long as all the speakers on the same channel are vertically aligned. (That would be like saying the imaging of the M80 is messed up because there are 2 of each speaker.)

With a single M22, I can tell the sound is coming from the M22. With 2 vertically aligned M22's, it sounds like the whole wall is exploding with sound. (Good just got better.)

That's another possible option for the person that started this thread. Mount 2 M22's on top of each other for L/R and use a VP160, mounted in the center of the screen for the center channel.

I agree with the Cat. Even with the M80s the farther you get away from them in a typical HT room the more they sound like a point source in the vertical plain, M22s and M2s more so. Putting another set of drivers playing the same channel aligned above them greatly enhances the immersion of the front soundstage without degrading the left to right separation mastered into the front channels.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1