Hi Mystical,

Yes, three M22s across the front (plus your surrounds) supported by two subwoofers would certainly provide clean, high-volume reproduction for movies and music, provided you aren't expecting the near-deafening maximum sound levels that the M80s/VP180 are able to deliver in rooms much larger than yours. (The M60s can play almost as loud as the M80s.)

I run my M22s plus Axiom EP500 subwoofer to SPL levels that briefly peak at up to 103 dB at a listening distance of 8 to 13 feet. (I do virtually all my listening/viewing in 5.1 and have several different centers including an M22 or M2 or a VP150.) I'd prefer a VP180 center but there just isn't room in my 2100 cu. ft living room.

The M22 fronts are on an A/B switcher with the M80 v2s, and I do not hear significant differences unless I want to push the playback levels higher than the 103-dB SPL peaks. I listen to very little rock music (mostly classical, opera, jazz and blues) so if your needs are extremely loud clean levels of rock, which some of my Axiom colleagues prefer, I'd suggest you somehow fit the in-cabinet M60s or M80s into your plans.

The M22s plus sub, QS8s and center, are also excellent for blockbuster soundtracks--remake of War of the Worlds, the Bourne movies, etc--and I run those pretty loud. I've never felt the need for higher SPL levels watching those movies.

Regards,
Alan

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)