I don't know about the 7005 but a few weeks ago I bought a Marantz Sr-6005. It is now on it's way back to Marantz for a refund. I bought it to replace my 4 yr old Onkyo (which has been great). I took a chance on Marantz because of all the reviews touting their build quality. There were several things wrong with it: 1. There was a startlingly loud pop every time it was powered up. I went through and disconnected my sources one by one but it still did it with no sources hooked up. I still don't know the reason for the pop. 2. One of the analog inputs didn't work. 3. I didn't like the user interface (maybe I was just spoiled with the excellent one on the Onk.). 4. The strangest problem was that when it was in Pure Direct mode with analog out from my Mac Mini using either Decibel or Audirvana or Itunes music players the Marantz would not respond to either mute or voulume control from neither the Marantz remote nor from the Harmony one. But if any other programs were opened on the Mac Mini it would work. However, it would respond if it was in any other listen mode other than pure direct. I'm still scratching my head on this one. If anyone can enlighten me...please do.

I took the Marantz out and put my Onkyo Tx-Sr 706 back in and all was good again. I will probably get the Onkyo Tx-Nr809. My current Onk 706 has been a work horse (used as a HT pre amp).

The Marantz felt like a light weight compared to my Onkyo and Denon. My perception was that the build quality (both inside and out) was not any better than the Denons (two older units now used in bedroom system for the kids) or Onkyo that I own. Maybe even slightly less. Just my opinion but I'm no expert. I will say that the Marantz was pretty.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.