My personal experience on the e-ink vs. LCD

I have now read several books on my Kindle 3. I truly love it and have come to prefer the entire experience over paper format.

Because I only recently invested in a protective cover, I was not travelling with it and I have spent a few good hours reading on Sharon's iPad if she was with me. It could just be my aging eyes but I found book reading for more than 30 minutes or so on the LCD screen Very tiring on the eyes.

Yes, I use two LCD screens all day at work and possibly more at home but I keep them situated a rough minimum of 4' back from my eyes. There is something about an LCD at hand held distance for serious reading that I find tiring. I definitely could not do longer than an hour without enough discomfort to quit.

It may not be a deal breaker for some but I thought I'd share my experience. If your a casual reader looking for a cheap tablet, the Kindle Fire is attractive for it's price point, even if it's a bit under powered as a full tablet. If you are a serious reader (long sessions), I would definately recommend an e-ink device.

Last edited by Murph; 11/24/11 03:31 PM. Reason: forgot my last sentence

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.