Speaking of e-readers, one advantage is being able to get classics and 'out of copy write' books for free (or something close too it.) My first Kindle purchase was the complete collection of Sherlock Holmes for 99 cents.

Most recently, this helped clear up a mystery for me. Excuse the long story.

Recently quoted from one of the recent movie promos "John Carter, beloved hero of millions of Sci Fi Fans......"

As geeky as I am, how was it that I never heard of John Carter and his Martian adventures? Well Wiki tells me that it is because the books were written in and after 1911 but here is the kicker, it was written by none other than Edgar Rice Burroughs! [Insert Carol Burnette's Tarzan yell here."]

Now I was a bit intrigued so then I wondered if the books would be old enough that they fall into the free (ok, kinda free) category for e-readers. They were, so I donwloaded the 5 story, John Carter of Mars Collection for 99 cents.

I just finished the first story. It's a bit quirky, as one would expect from Sci-fi imaginings from a writer in early 1900 but it's actually pretty enjoyable. If you enjoy sci-fi written before modern times (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Jonothan Swift, The Last Man, etc." then it is definitely worth your single dollar.

I have no idea if the movie will be any good, but I'm a bit more intrigued now.

Short version of above.....
E-Readers are an excellent way to explore some classics you might not otherwise invest in.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.