spiff is on the ball today and way ahead of me in time reply posting.
I actually have my M60s setup as 'large' and have turned down my EP350 crossover to the 50Hz (approx.) point. I don't like using the subwoofer for sounds beyond low organ notes and explosions. The M60s do a superb job in filling in that mid bass with reasonable authority and accuracy.
When reviewing the M22s in my basement, i found the M60s simply had more than the M22s did. They really filled my desire for a full sound without trying to do it with a subwoofer. If that is the 'hole' you are looking to fill, then perhaps the M60s are really what you might be searching for.

I can only imagine some former sound ppl or concert musicians going from loud, blasting, larger than living room sound to Axiom M22s in a home room of reasonable size. The first thought that comes to mind is "thin" but it does depend on your reference point and it certainly is NOT specific to Axiom speakers. I would think anyone picking up a bookshelf speaker of any brand who is used to what i stated previously, would find them lacking in some 'fullness'.
I suppose another analogy might be similar to a person going from the M22s as a reference point to some dinky Logitech computer speaker. Something becomes absent in the sound.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."