Originally Posted By: St_PatGuy
Good post, Bob, and thank you.

One of my co-workers recently came back from a three month leave of absence to "right" himself. As tough as us guys think we are and putting on a brave face is all that's needed to get through, we do ourselves a disservice by ignoring obvious signs of needing help.

Agreed, Sean.

Originally Posted By: BobKay
Thanks for taking the time to read it, guys.

Sean, I hope you don't mind, but I'd like to refer to a couple of terms used in your response that illustrate my point. It's not your personal choice of words. I think they're the most common ones called upon.

While even an aware and sensitive person might use the phrase "need(s) help," the stigma has already kicked in. When one goes to receive medical care, one doesn't refer to it as "getting help."

Actually, sometimes I do. I tell my patients to get to their family doctor so he/she can help them get their diabetes under control, or their blood pressure, etc.

I had a professor in residency who put things in perspective when she said that we (psychiatrists) are here when friends, family, pastors, etc are unable to help. That's when it gets clinical, yo. Actually, the last sentence was me.

As you said, I didn't get any negative connotation from his post. Just sayin'.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.