Originally Posted By: JohnK
Dana, enjoyed reading your review. You used the term "dynamics" several times and I'm curious as to what you mean as to that criterion. My own usage is that the dynamics in a musical recording are an inherent characteristic of the source material and that any quality speaker has to accurately reproduce that range, neither more nor less.

Fair question John. What I'm referring to is musical powerfulness and energetics. Your definition is spot on however. Us former musicians (rock bands), we use the term to explain perceived swings in volume, notes, piano plucks, crack of the snare, or guitar runs where the guitar player is manipulating the volume of a sustain note with his hands/fingers, and that "volume shift" sounding "dynamic" to us. May sound strange, but the best way I describe it when listening to a piano where the pianist is pressing the keys softer and then harder...with the Def's, that difference in volume, soft to hard press of the keys is more noticeable and stands out more than the axioms. Doesn't mean the axioms don't or can't produce that, of course they can. Just it's more "in your face" forceful or vigorous on the Def's.

Last edited by Dduval; 04/10/13 03:13 AM.

M80's, QS8's, M22's, CHT SHO-10, Dual CHT SS-18.1's, Onkyo NR3008, Mitsubishi WD-73740