Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. Before receiving your most recent inputs, I set the speakers a bit closer together and aimed them straight ahead (no toe-in) and it made quite an improvement.

Using the room simulation feature of REW (and the sub crawl), I concluded that the best place for the sub was halfway along one long wall, pretty much in the floor-wall intersection. But I must admit I don't know exactly how to interpret room mode presentations in REW graphics.

I'm going to try various of your suggestions and get back to you. But I do find my present config. suitably improved that it will be my "return to" position if I make it worse.

Alan, I appreciate your advice about the possibility of M22's. I've been wondering about that possibility also. But for now (and for my wife) I'm going to try to keep my wallet in my pocket.

On that subject though, I've been eyeing Paradigm Prestige B15 bookshelfs. Any thoughts on that? Probably bordering on heresy in an Axiom forum.

My experience with speakers is a bit thin. Before the M80s I had PSB Alpha (bookshelf smalls with passive sub) and before that, a pair of Advents from the 70's.