I know what you are saying Adian.

There is the side that you might get a good deal at a bike show. Wether you are going to get the exact bike that you'd like is unknown. I have never gone to the fall sell off so I can't say.

Right now my local bike shop has a Giant Anthem 2 that I think would fit me perfectly. This is the 2017 model and they are willing to take $350 off the list price. I am told that markup is not that large with some bikes and they will not budge for hell or high water from that price.

The 2018 model will be out soon ($400 more expensive list), and it is effectively the exact same bike except it comes with different tires that are tubeless ready, and the 2018 SLX group is 11-46 vs this years that is 11-42. I did take the bike for a ride earlier in the year and I had a problem with the front crank being 30 tooth, makes the top speed a bit slow and at the largest rear gears, I can flip myself backwards as my leg strength to gear ratio is just too much. With the 2018 version it just makes that problem even worse.

I personally can't figure out why anyone would need a 42 tooth gear in the back, let alone a 46. It's not like you'd even be climbing a steep enough face that you could use it, and you'd be riding so slow, balance would be an issue as you need forward momentum to stay upright.

Last edited by MatManBobbleHead; 08/09/17 06:17 PM.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5