Mad Chesser. I would look to toss the Pioneer if you want to up your sound. I have have been through quite a few of the Pioneer amps from the lower VSX-1126 to the SC-1227, SC-1528 and all of them no matter what I did, didn't produce the clean dynamic sound that I was expecting.

If I went back to old school Nakamichi AV1 the speakers came alive with dynamics, an incredible sound stage, pin accurate placement, and none of the wishy washy malaze that I seemed to get from the Pioneer.
Not to say it was just limited to Pioneer, but I found about the same level from Integra, Marantz as well. I put in countless hours trying to get the sound that I knew I could get. Moving speakers, adjusting the room finishes that I could. Then I gave in and threw my money good over bad into an Anthem and it was like lifting a veil back off the sound.

Amps like the ADA1500 can only produce a good sound if the source that they are getting is good and clean. I found that the Pioneer that I had didn't give that. I went from the M80 directly to the LFR1100 that isn't a forgiving speaker. it gives you back exactly what you feed it in amplitude. so if your system isn't up to snuff, then you miss out on great sound and hear all the flaws in your face.

I know the Pioneer isn't a cheap receiver. But I would hate for you to go down the same path that I was on trying to get better sound only to be hobbling yourself from getting it by replacing the wrong parts.

Anthem: AVM60, Fosi DAC-Q5
Axiom: ADA1500, LFR1100 Actiive, QS8, EP500, M3, M3comp, M5