Rich, I don't have the M2s and have never heard them. I expect them to be more linear than the M3s in the midrange. In that regard, I expect them to sound like M5s with no bass. And I think you can push them as hard as M3s and they won't melt like the Totem Dreamcatchers. The M5s with a sub can be pushed even harder of course likely to 6dBC more before they sound squirrely.

I am actually considering M2s for my living room and my friend's. I have the M5s in there with a Yammie aub. The sub is important not because the M5s don't have enough bass. Rather, in my room, it's too much. Maybe it's that hump around 100Hz if you look at their curve. No problem in my main room though.

My bass management is primitive because I have a minimalist receiver. I do have pre-outs though and I route those to the sub. Then I cut the bass by 10 using the receiver and another 6 on my Chromecast Audio EQ. Using the sub, I have wonderful bass and the very enjoyable and emotional experience I enjoy from the very refined M5s.

So what's the problem then? I want rosewood and if I can get a smaller form factor, that would help the decor. That's where the M2s come in.

Of course the actives are coming and I'll be trying them in the livingroom first. If I like their sound in there, then I am going to have a major crisis...lol!

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated