Interesting thoughts, and fuel for more system twiddling.

Mojo, I'm not sure I follow, "If you can, even temporarily, move the M22s into the room and see how soundstage width and depth may differ between the versions." Do you mean compare the V2 vs V4 M22s for depth and soundstage? And if so, what sound mode would you recommend, stereo?

"It could be the M22v4 is more linear, and hence introduces less harmonic distortion, which you interpret as less involving."
That could very well be what's happening. I always liked the M22s "linearality"; maybe I just went past my limit on that particular good thing.

"I went from a 3-way Technics system (Japanese speakers) to M22s and i returned the M22s. I found them anemic and without detail."
Ouch. I feel like I'm getting one or the other (depending on version), just not both at the same time. But damn chesseroo, that was brutal!

"We bought the M60s (not a bookshelf size of course) and its detail and low end filled everything we were looking for."
I'm jealous. Unfortunately, I like to listen to music in my study and it's only 13x14, so towers are out of the question. One day though I'd love to get M60s, or ideally M80s, in my family room.