I'm not sure why everyone assumes that speaker designers know how to set speakers up in a room and tweak a room. That's a science and practice all on its own. Trevor, I'd lay money down you know more than Andrew in this regard. That's not a knock on Andrew.

Speaker designers have to embrace a design "standard". That standard helps them build product regardless of the room the product is placed in. That standard for Axiom is Toole's research. Axiom has interpreted the science behind that research and adopted that interpretation within its Family of Curves. Over time, it has adjusted its understanding of the curves and the design parameters that lead to greater accuracy for the specified operating boundaries of a particular speaker.

What Axiom has done with its FOCs signifies a very mature level of requirements. These requirements are used to design speakers and the components within them. Without them, a speaker designer is free to design to his own requirements, and those requirements likely won't be valid in the markets the speakers sell in.

The actives prove to me that a highly accurate FOC works very well. Room integration as a result becomes easier. Now hopefully Trevor can make it easier for all of us by spilling some secret methods. smile

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated