You can no longer choose vinyl or wood. You always get a wood finish. Ian made it so because the difference in cost between wood and vinyl was quite close. Good call I say for many reasons. Right now we don't know which refurb products have woodies but maybe Axiom will improve on that.

The box is always made from the same material which I suspect is low weight HDF. A thin veneer of a choice of wood and finish is adhered to the wood.

From the bit of research I've done, low weight HDF is more expensive than HDF. Way more expensive.

Building speakers out of wood is very expensive for many reasons besides the cost of wood. The final product is not necessarily superior to MDF or HDF unless it has been carefully acoustically characterized and resonances have been reduced to an inaudible level.

I am very satisfied with the robustness of the HDF and the level of bracing in v4. Axiom has really upped its game.

You all know I like v4, right? Axiom kept the damned v4 secret for way too long and so did its customers. It's like they wanted to keep it all to themselves.

Last edited by Mojo; 10/08/20 03:58 PM.

House of the Rising Sone
Out in the mid or far field
Dedicated mid-woofers are over-rated