Michauras were built by you-know-who for a company which launched just before the economic melt down in 2000. They used the aluminum black-eyed-pea 5.25" and 6.5" drivers. They had an incredible faux glossy rosewood finish which fooled just about everyone into thinking they were veneered.

The Michauras used a unique hex shape cabinet which are incredibly rigid. The M55s had 2 x 5.25" drivers and the 0.75" titanium tweeter which was also used in some Axiom speakers. The sound quality is really superb! The highs are as good as many ultra-high-buck speakers. The mids, sweet and the bass was accurate for as low as they went. They blended easily with a fast subwoofer.

The M66s are large hex shaped stand mounts, using 2 x 6.5" drivers and the 0.75" titanium tweeter. I stood mine on a pair of Dahlquist 15" subwoofers, on the shorter wall pointing down the long axis into a breakfast area. I used the Antique Sound Labs MG Si 15dt 5 watt per channel integrated tube amp with Shuguang Black Treasure KT88 tubes and a pair of NOS Telefunken 12ax7s (more expensive than what the amp cost me). Some Mapleshade Audio Golden Double Helix + speaker wire (all the charm of a coat hanger, ready to put your eye out, but sound really good) and a Sony DVP 9000es SACD player. My friends, this was one of the best sounding systems I've ever had.

I bought a pair of $7000 Emerald Physics 2.8 open baffle speakers from Mark Schifter. He flew in to set them up with their DSP and digital tri-amp rig. I played the Michaura M66 system for him and told him if the EP 2.8s sound better than the Michauras, I'll keep them. Although the EP2.8s sounded fantastic at T.H.E Show, in Irvine, the ones he delivered had the 'upgraded' tweeters and drivers. I kept the Michauras, the EP2.8s went back.

The Michaura M665 are towers, also hex shaped had the same kit as our M60s, but instead of the 1" titanium tweeter, it uses the 0.75" Ti tweeter. I gave one pair to my Rabbi and the other to a friend who needed a present. Both use their M665s with a little hybrid tube amp (25 wpc) from Monoprice, and both sound silly good.

I have suggested on several occasions that Ian build a hex shaped speaker line, or an elongated hex, some kind of 6 sided rhomboid ... maybe even with a curved back, that should really eliminate standing waves ... maybe someday.

Good luck to you Kodiak. Fill that large master bedroom with beautiful music.

Last edited by 2x6spds; 08/06/21 01:29 AM.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.