In reply to:

I have QS8s for both sides and rears. Elsewhere in the audio world, I've seen recommendations of a monopolar speaker for the sides and a dipolar speaker for the rear.

Hmmm? That seems to contradict what I've heard. I've heard dipolar (or bipolar or quadpolar) on the sides, and monopoles for the rears to be used with SACD and DVD-A as well as rear surrounds for 7.1. If you're not into SACD or DVD-A, I would think having QS8s on the sides AND in the rear would be FABULOUS! Even if you are into those two formats, you won't lose anything with 4 QS8s. When I go to 7.1, I'm thinking seriously of just adding 2 more QS8s.

Alan (Axioms' resident expert) has said (emphasis is mine, not Alan's):

"7. If I do add the extra two speakers at the rear for a 7.1-channel system, should I use direct-radiating speakers like the M2i or M3ti or the quad polar QS8s or QS4s?
In a general way, it's best to use rear speakers that are identical to the surrounds at the sides, although there is some controversy about this. Using identical surrounds at the sides and rear guarantees the same tonal balance and dispersion traits from all four surround speakers. However, many Axiom system owners report excellent results using QS8 or multidirectional surrounds at the sides and two direct-radiating M2i's at the rear.
"

And:

"9. I love the sense of surround envelopment that I get from my QS8 multipolar surround speakers with movie soundtracks, but I've read that the new DVD-A and SACD multichannel music formats are mixed using direct-radiating speakers at the rear. Will the QS8s work well for music playback?
Most of us do not have room to install two types of surround speakers--multipolar types for movie playback and direct-radiating speakers for surround music playback. A few A/V receivers have outputs for two types of surround speakers to meet this need directly, but experience suggests that for many rooms and setups, a multidirectional-type surround will function admirably for movie surround OR music playback. In real life, much of the ambient sound reaching our ears in clubs, auditoriums and concert halls comprises a rich mix of reflected sound, and given that most domestic rooms do not have the dimensions to generate this melange of reflections, a multipolar surround is the preferred choice. This subject remains somewhat controversial.
"

And, from the Axiom FAQ:

"Where should I place my surround speakers?
Ideally, surround speakers should be either wall-mounted or stand-mounted to either side of the couch or primary listening area, from one to six feet higher than seated listeners' ears, and slightly forward or rearwards of the listening area if you wish. Axiom's Quadpolar surrounds are especially versatile and can yield excellent performance with stand or wall-mounting to the rear as well as at side locations. (see our dedicated stands for the QS Surround speakers in the Store). Rear center speakers for 6.1 and 7.1 installations are intended to go on the rear wall at about the same height as the surround speakers.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton