Hey chess...
You want even more? I bet Alan and I could drive you to distraction with this stuff...

OK so here is something you may not have heard about...

Keeping a vinyl record clean (to minimize pops and ticks)was an ever consuming job. In addition to the disctracker device and brushes that were built into the cartridge (like the Sure V-15 and many Pickering models), several companies made tonearm like devices that attached to the turntable that had little brushes that tracked the grooves lust like the stylus. As the record went around, the brush was in the same location as the cartridge (but just 180 degrees opposite of the cartridge) This constantly cleaned the grooves at the same time as the music played - without causing any influence on the tonearm weight, mass, dampening, etc. and thus was a "different" approach to cleaning.

There was also a wet system developed for playback that involved a real committment! This system constantly spread a small amount of distilled water on the grooves being played (by a similar device as the dry dust cleaner). The advantage of this system (which btw I never used) was that it "suspended" dust and debris out of the bottom/sides of the record roove and provided "lubrication and cooling" between the diamond stylus and vinyl. The result was usually a remarkable reduction in the vinyl surface noise and pops/ticks. But it also resulted in a disc that forever had to be played "wet", or you wouldn't be able to stand the noise when played dry! Which is why I never used it. But I think a lot of DJs in night clubs did.

Music/HiFi history.... ain't it fun?

Got any more good ones for us Alan?

Randyman