One of the many things that SACD and DVD-A enthusiasts (those who do not have $1000.00 to spend on a universal player at least) complain of is the poor bass management that many of the players have. Also, the digital out from the player to the receiver cannot handle the amount of data being sent through it so the receiver cannot be used to set the bass response (if I have read everything right).
Like BigJohn, I did not try the QS4s first. I started my upgrade with M22s and a VP100. I wanted the VP150 almost instantly so I upgraded. To avoid that a 2nd time, I went with the QS8s instead of the QS4s when I got the surrounds later.
I have just started my own incursion into SACD and DVD-A and all I can say is that the QS8s do an amazing job on the discs I have listened to so far.
If there is even a small chance you will: 1. set up in a medium large room, 2. Get upgrade-itis, 3. Listen to multi-channel music, 4. Any or all of the above, then I would recommend the QS8s.
Plus, if the Axiom rep recommends them, you can be pretty safe in assuming they are trying to help you. There are many posts here where people were advised to get the next speaker down instead of the top of the line by the Axiom folks. They want you happy, not just your money.

have fun!

jr

"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." C Hitchens