Hello TonyM,

Interesting thread you started. I just chatted with Ian Colquhoun, Axiom's designer and founder, about this subject and we both concluded that there really are no downsides to using a pair of M2i's in parallel as a center channel.

In theory, you would get some constructive and destructive interference across the spectrum, but we already deal with that with no problems from two main stereo speakers in stereo or a 5.1-channel surround system.

You would definitely get better dispersion running two 8 ohm M2i's in parallel, and apart from the lowered impedance to 4 ohms, would be almost like a VP-150.

There is a decided advantage to using two centers, particularly if you have one of the newer large-screen rear-projection sets that offer no flat surface above the screen on which to put a center channel. My own option may be to use a pair of M2i's, one on each side of the set so that the dialog images in the center. Putting one in front is not an option because it blocks the infrared remote sensor of the Samsung DLP. I'll report on the results of A/B tests I'll conduct with two M2i's vs. one vs. a VP100 or VP150.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)