tt - "resigned to the VP100". Let me make you feel better.

Here is my setup, which is similar to yours. I had the stand custom made before I knew anything about Axiom. The bays are each 20" wide.

Please note that a VP100 sits proudly in the middle bay, bottom. Nicely tilted up due to Ian's excellent design. Would I have gotten the VP150 if the sapce allowed? You betcha - it was "more stuff" and I'm a guy, so I needed it. However, after speaking to Joe at Axiom (in one of our 1/2 hour discussions) and exchanging emails with Alan, I was comfortable with my ordering the VP100. I have not been disappointed for a single minute with the thing.

It is terrific and the dialog is crystal clear - the point of the thing to begin with. My M60s also assist in creating a "false center" (or some such reference Alan used) and the soundstage is seamless. I tend to lean towards centers because they were designed to be just that. The M2 and M3 discussions vertical/side are interesting, but they are bookshelf speakers, that's why they aren't designated as centers. Please - no offense intended to the M2 faithful; I'm a big believer in whatever makes you happy.

I've also played with tweaking the db levels of the M60s and VP100. The difference in 1 or 2 db is surprisingly noticeable in making the pair or the center a bit more forward. When I've got something on that is mastered a bit oddly, I just tweak the settings for the duration of that piece, but it is rare occurrence. The VP100 shouldn't be viewed as a compromise. It is an excellent speaker and won't disappoint.

Whew, I got all sweaty there. Hope the input is helpful.